Search This Blog

07 April 2016

Throwback Thursday: Sermon on Luke 24:36-48

While I was a prospective Lutheran seminarian and as a Lutheran seminarian, I was given opportunities to preach at my former church. I would be lying if these moments did not have a large impact on my faith journey. On this Throwback Thursday I would like to share my sermon on Luke 24:36-48 during the Easter season. My sermon outline is at the bottom.


Cringe worthy correction:
Easter is 50 days not 40




Some critiques:
1. While I do like that I am scripture heavy in this sermon, I can understand if some may view this sermon as being a little too heavy, because it easy to lose focus on the central theme of this sermon; being faithful fearless witnesses.

2. Sometimes my words tended to slur together and part of that particular statement could be lost. This is common when I get excited. A fix to this would be to write out the entire sermon or at least the critical key points so that I don't blur them when I get excited about them.

3. I speak with my hands! They are everywhere.

Thank you for checking this out. I welcome constructive criticism and encourage you to let me know how I did! There is one more sermon that I recorded and will share in another Throwback Thursday post. Happy Easter and God bless you!


Credo Domine!
------------------------

Sermon Notes:
Intro
- This Gospel reading is one of faith, excitement, and challenge
- Context
- Luke 24: 13-36a
- 2 Disciples were walking to Emmaus and encounter “stranger”
- Stranger tells them of Hebrew prophecy.
- Disciples invite “stranger” into their home to eat.
- “Stranger” breaks and blesses bread and the Disciples’ eyes were opened and they realized it was Christ! He then vanished.
- Were discussing these happenings with the rest.

Explanation
- Jesus Appears
-  36b-37 (p. 92): “‘Peace be with you.’ They were startled and terrified, and thought that they were seeing a ghost.”
- Mr. Bill bible study example; Arch Stevenson appears
- Shock, second-guessing
- Look at it from Disciples perspective
- Processing death and resurrection of Jesus
 - Jesus Asks A Question
- 38: “He said to them, ‘Why are you frightened, and why do doubts arise in your hearts?’”
- Human perspective
- Why did they doubt?
- Because it was so incredible they could not, as humans, comprehend it?
- Was it a rhetorical question?
- Did Jesus know why they doubted? Is the asking of the question a statement of how, God is so amazing that Jesus defeated death and that is how he is appearing?
- Do we believe in God? (Meaning trust)
- Why do we doubt?
- Because we cannot grasp God’s infinite power?
- Because we are afraid of what we cannot comprehend?

- Jesus Teaches
- 44 (p. 93): Then he said to them, These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you—that everything written about me in the law of Moses, the prophets, and the psalms must be fulfilled.’”
- Jesus told them this three times in Luke (9: 21-27, 43-45; 18: 31-34)

45-48: “Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures, and he said to them, ‘Thus it is written, that the Messiah is to suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins is to be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things.’”
- We must not fear! (Referring to questions above) Easter is celebrating Christ’s resurrection
- But also celebrating God’s fulfilled promises
- Also because He set us free from death
- We are witnesses
- Colossians 3: 12, 16 (p. 215): “As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”
- Let us not celebrate blindly. We are to celebrate but be wise and have the Word dwell richly within us.

Conclusion
- Let us not doubt, but when we do, ask ourselves why.
- Are we afraid? Are we scared?
- Let us not be afraid and celebrate boldly, the resurrection of Christ Jesus!
- Let us celebrate it knowing why we celebrate it
- Let us be witnesses to Christ’s resurrection!
- Let us clothe ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Let us pray that the Holy Spirit imparts the Word of Christ in us so that we can teach. Let us show our gratitude to God, this Easter, with great song and praise!

Final Greetings from 2 Corinthians 13: 11

- “Finally, brothers and sisters… Put things in order, listen to my appeal, agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.” Christ is risen. He is risen indeed. Alleluia!


No comments:

Post a Comment