Search This Blog

14 May 2018

StCYM: Self Care (13 MAY 18)

This week we were supposed to learn about Mary, but I had to cancel SNS last minute, due to illness. I apologize if this wrecked the week. Since I had to cancel last minute, I was inspired to focus this week's reflection on self care. It is something so easily ignored and under appreciated that we don't realize we need it until something bad happens.

What is self care? Self care is simply put taking care of yourself physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. Stress is a killer, literally, and can lead to all sorts of problems. One of these problems is a weakened immune system. Going prolonged periods free of rest and relaxation is not healthy. This is why I take self care seriously. I take my off days and vacation days to make sure I am the best I need to be for the people I am called to serve.

However, this weekend the recent few weeks of non-stop work and events caught up to me and on Sunday after the noon Mass I did not feel well at all. An hour-long nap didn't take care of it either. Usually, if I am feeling a little out of it, a good nap takes care of it and I'm back in business. I realized if I attempted to host SNS, it would be miserable for everyone, which is why I decided to cancel it. I hate canceling on anything, especially important events like SNS.

After good rest and the help of some DayQuil, I feel much better today. I apologize for not taking care of myself in the past few weeks. So the moral of the story is to make self care a priority. Get what you need done, but give yourself a break if you need a break. It is important to note that there is a difference between wanting a break and needing one. If you need a break, though, do not fight through it too long. You are not good for anyone, if you're not good. Remember, even the Creator of the universe took a rest.

Pax,
Johannes

No comments:

Post a Comment